Dear Parents and Guardians,
As we return from vacation, spirit week marks the end of February with a weeklong celebration of activities at Yarmouth High School. There are also several community events of interest. Valo is sponsoring an Adolescent Brain Development presentation on February 27th at Maine Coast Waldorf School in Freeport. Please see this link for more information. Additionally, the Interact Club will be holding a food drive this weekend at the First Parish Church on Friday the 28th from 5:30 pm to 6:30 pm and Saturday the 29th from 8:30 am to 10:30 am. Please see this link for more information.
With March right around the corner, we would like to provide you with a week-by-week preview of important dates. During the first week of March, we are almost halfway through the third quarter, and your child’s teachers will be upgrading grades in time for progress reports on March 4th. Additionally, our Playmakers will be performing the one act play Cleveland, by Mac Wellman, on Wednesday March 4th at 8 pm. Please join us for this performance as the Playmakers prepare for the regional competition on March 7th.
The second week of March is significant for several reasons. First, it’s time to prepare for the spring sports season, and Spring Sports Information Night will be held Monday, March 9th at 6:00 pm. Please join your child in learning more about the upcoming season from our spring coaching staff.
Second, it is time to register for classes next year, and we will hold our Registration Conferences on March 11th and March 12th. These conferences provide you and your student with the opportunity to meet with your child’s advisor, and you should be hearing from your child’s advisor with more information this week. Prior to the registration conferences, please take time to discuss the Course of Studies (link here) with your child, as it provides you with valuable academic information to make decisions based on your child’s interests, strengths, and needs.
Third, there is another community presentation, Life of a Student-Athlete, on Wednesday March 11th. John Underwood, a former Olympian athlete and national Olympic trainer, will be discussing substance abuse and the impact on the teenage brain. Please see this link for more information.
The third week of March is an exciting time at Yarmouth High School, as each grade level participates in unique learning experiences:
- Freshmen will participate in workshops and activities related to their Power of One Projects, while also traveling to the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston to study artwork related to their humanities studies on Friday March 20th.
- Sophomores and juniors will be spending time at their job sites on March 18, 19, and 20th as part of their Career Exploration Program.
- On Friday March 20th, Seniors will attend a day-long series of workshops geared to help them with real world life-skills after graduation. We will be offering students an array of choices, ranging from tips on cooking to financial experts taking students through the essentials of financial literacy.
Finally, we will end the month with another Yarmouth hallmark event. It's time to get ready for the 10th Annual Yarmouth's Got Talent: A K-12 Student Competition on Friday, March 27th. All talent is welcome to audition – music, dance, arts, magic, comedy…or any creative endeavor that will win over the audience! Grades 5-12 entry forms are due by Thursday, March 19. Auditions will be after school on Monday, March 23. Official rules and entry forms can be Yarmouth'sGotTalent.org. Please see this link for more information.
As this represents quite a bit of info, here’s a quick summary for easy reference:
- One Act Play Performance - March 4th in the YPAC at 8:00 pm
- Spring Sports Registration Night - Monday, March 9th at 6:00 pm.
- Registration Conferences - March 11th and March 12th
- 9th Grade MFA field trip - Friday, March 20th.
- 10th and 11th Grade CEP dates - March 18, 19, 20th
- 12th Grade Senior Workshop Day - Friday, March 20th
- Yarmouth’s Got Talent - Friday, March 27th.
Eric Klein, Amy Bongard, and David Creech - YHS Administrative Team