Dear YHS Parents,
I like snow as much as anyone, but November 2 is a little early for a snowstorm! You will see in my updates, however, that it was fitting given that tomorrow night (Monday) is Winter Sports Information Night. Here are a few items that may be of interest to you.
1. Congratulations to all of our sports teams this fall. The girls volleyball team won the state championship on Saturday, the girls cross country came in second in the state championship and qualified for the New England championships, and boys football and boys soccer both advanced to the next round of the playoffs. The final schedules for the next games have not been set, but will be posted on our athletic page on Monday. Girls soccer and field hockey both had terrific seasons, but finished their seasons this week in the semifinal round of the playoffs. Our golf team ended their season about two weeks ago and had a good season with a young team.
2. With fall sports winding down, it is time for the Winter Sports Information Night tomorrow (Monday, 11/3) evening at 6:00 PM. This is the time to learn about the upcoming season from the coaches as well as the parent boosters. Room assignments will be posted as you come into the building at both entrances.
3. Last Friday was the last day of the first quarter. In the next few days, grades for the quarter will be finalized and on Friday, 11/7, the grades become official. I urge you to review the grades with your son or daughter on PowerSchool over the weekend.
4. Next week, we have no school on Veterans Day, Tuesday, November 11th. The next two days are set aside for teacher-parent conferences. If your son or daughter's last name begins with A-K, your conferences will be held from 3:30-6:30 on Wednesday, November 12. Those with last names starting with L-Z have conferences on Thursday, November 13 from 3:30-6:30. These conferences are quick updates (about 5 minutes) with the teachers. Most teachers will be in either the gym or the cafeteria, with a few in their classroom. Our Student Ambassadors will be there to help you find your way.
5. Please look on our newly designed YHS homepage (http://yhs.yarmouthschools.org/) later this week for information on how to purchase tickets for the upcoming musical, Urinetown, that will be performed Wed (open dress rehearsal), Thursday evening, Friday evening, and Saturday afternoon and evening (November 19-22).
6. Casco Bay CAN (http://www.cascobaycan.org/) is a group of local individuals, schools, law enforcement agencies, organizations, and businesses who work together to prevent and reduce youth substance abuse in Cumberland, Falmouth, Freeport, North Yarmouth, Pownal and Yarmouth. I have attached two items to this email, one a letter signed by many local school administrators supporting the work of this organization and the second one is the November "Tip of the Month."
Please be in touch if you have any questions, comments or concerns. I welcome your input.
Ted Hall, Principal
Principal's Office >