We have had a wonderful first week of school at Yarmouth High School. Students were ready to go on the first day and jumped right into their schoolwork. As we finish off the week, I have several updates for you:
1. School Committee meeting to discuss breathalyzer policy on September 13th
2. Open House on Thursday, September 20th
3. Special presentation by John Underwood on Wednesday, September 26th
4. Host families needed for 10 Swedish students visiting the week of September 24th.
1. School Committee meeting to discuss breathalyzer policy on September 13th: As most of you know, we conducted breathalyzer tests of every student who attended the junior/senior prom last spring. We then gathered feedback from both parents and students before proposing a policy to be considered by the School Committee. On Thursday night, September 13th, at 7:00 PM at the Log Cabin, the school committee will be discussing and voting on the proposed policy. The meeting is open to the public. I have attached the latest version of the proposed policy for your information.
2. Open House on Thursday, September 20th: Next week, you will be receiving an email from your son or daughter's advisor with specific information about our Open House that will take place from 6:30-9:00 on Thursday, September 20th. You will have an opportunity to meet with the advisor and then follow an abbreviated schedule of your child's classes. This event is well attended, so parking is tight. I encourage you to arrive early and if possible, carpool or walk.
3. Special presentation by John Underwood on Wednesday, September 26th: Thanks to the efforts of Casco Bay CAN (Create Awareness Now), we we will have a special presentation for parents and students from 7:00-8:30 PM in the YPAC from John Underwood. A former NCAA All-American, international-level distance runner and World Masters Champion, John has coached or advised more than two dozen Olympians including World and Olympic Champions. He holds three International Olympic Solidarity diplomas for coaching and has been a crusader for drug-free sport at all levels. He is the Chemical Health Consultant for the New York Public High School Athletic Association drug prevention program. He has conducted the only physiological case study of the residual effect of alcohol on elite athletic performance. He has appeared as a guest commentator for ABC Wide World of Sports for Olympic Drug Scandals. John has worked with nearly all sport federations including the NCAA, NHL, NBA, NFL, the U.S. Olympic Committee, Sport Canada, and the International Olympic Committee. The title of his presentation is: Maximizing Athletic Performance and the Personal Well-Being of Teens. We are fortunate that he will also be doing a presentation for our athletic coaches earlier in the day. I have attached a flyer that gives a bit more information about his visit to the area.
4. Host families needed for 10 Swedish students visiting the week of September 24th: Over the last year, we have been working collaboratively with a school in Sweden. A group of teachers and administrators from Sweden visited Yarmouth last year and since that time, we have been collaborating electronically with our colleagues to create an opportunity for our students to work with the Swedish students. As a result of our work together, we are going to be hosting ten Swedish high school students (5 boys and 5 girls who are sophomores and juniors in high school). We are looking for Yarmouth families where the Swedish students can stay for the week of September 24th. They will be arriving from Sweden on Monday, September 24th and leaving early Sunday morning, September 30th. If you are interested in hosting one or more Swedish students in your home, please let me know.
As always, if you have any questions, concerns, or comments, please be in touch. I also want to remind you that I post my parent emails on the "Principal Page" of our website at: http://yhs.yarmouthschools.org/Principals-Office
Ted Hall, Principal
Principal's Office >