Dear YHS Parents,
I hope you had a nice Thanksgiving break and I also hope that if you lost your power, it is back on after that challenging early snowstorm. As we head into the three weeks before our winter break, I have several items of interest to you.
1. Public Policy Volunteers Needed: Our CP US History classes are finishing up their public policy project and getting ready to present. Students have been researching issues for several weeks and will present their findings and recommendations to panels of students, faculty, and community members. We are in need of a number of volunteers from the community to serve on these panels. Panelists are not asked to grade students, but will have an opportunity to ask questions and provide feedback. The presence and participation of community members help make this a rich, authentic learning experience for our students.The presentations are scheduled for the following dates and times: Wed. December 10th 9:05-10:35 and 10:55-12:25, Fri. December 12th 8:55-9:25 and 10:55-12:25, and Tues. December 16th 8:55-9:25 and 10:55-12:25. If you are interested in serving on a panel, please go to the following site for easy sign up: https://doodle.com/vcdz9g4v7kpywggq . If you have questions, please email them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Winter Concert Tuesday Night: The band, chorus, advanced vocal ensemble and chamber choir will be performing on Tuesday, December 2nd at 7:00 PM in the YPAC. This is a great opportunity for you to see and hear our wonderful music groups perform.
3. Picture Retakes Wednesday: If your son or daughter either did not like the original school picture or was absent on that day, there is another opportunity on Wednesday, December 3rd from 10:30-1:00 in the Flex Room. I attached the order form to this email with more information. If your child is a senior and you want a school picture, this will be the last opportunity.
4. Financial Aid Night Wednesday: One of the big challenges of post-secondary education is understanding the finances associated with college. On Wednesday, December 3rd, from 6:30-8:00 in the YPAC, we will be having Financial Aid Information Night. In addition to our guidance counselors, Beth Doane and Brenda Michaelsen, we will have Andrea Cross, the Associate Director of Financial Aid at Bowdoin College as a guest presenter. Although this presentation is primarily focused on current seniors and their parents, all are welcome.
5. Semiformal Dance Friday: This Friday, December 5th from 7:00-10:00 PM, the sophomore class will be hosting the whole school in our annual Semiformal Dance in the cafeteria. Tickets will be sold all week during lunch and break.
6. Music Boosters Hosts Portland Jazz Orchestra Sunday: The Portland Jazz Orchestra (PJO) will be performing Duke Ellington's Jazz Nutcracker and other holiday favorites at the YPAC on Sunday, December 7th at 3pm. Doors will open at 2:30pm. Tickets are $10.00 at the door. The concert will be approximately 2 hours with an intermission. Refreshments will be available. The Portland Jazz Orchestra is anchored by PJO Jazz Drummer and HMS music teacher extraordinaire Brad Ciechomski! Students, parents, faculty, family and the public are invited.
7. Progress Reports next Tuesday: The middle of the second quarter is next Tuesday, December 9th. I encourage you to get together with your son or daughter to review the grades at that time if you haven't done so recently. It is a good time to check in about any missing assignments. Please be in touch with the teachers if you have any questions.
8. Mr. YHS next Thursday: The Senior Class will once again put on the very popular "pageant" called Mr. YHS at 7:00 PM in the YPAC. This always promises to be a humorous and entertaining evening.
9. Advisor Breakfasts, Wednesday, December 17: Each year, the advisor group gets together for breakfast on the Wednesday morning before we leave for break. Your child's advisor will be in touch soon with details about the breakfast plans as well as the plans for getting gifts for a needy child that each advisor is assigned.
10. Lockdown Drill Upcoming: As part of our increased awareness about school security, we have committed to doing one lockdown drill each year. We do not announce the exact time and date, but do want you to know that we will be doing the lockdown drill sometime in the next three weeks. If you have any questions, please ask.
Wow, that was a long list of upcoming events for you--it is going to be a busy three weeks at YHS! Please be in touch if you have any questions.
Principal's Office >