Dear YHS Parents,
I have several (8!) items for you today. To start with, I want to remind you that you can go to the "Principal's Page" on our website to see any of my YHS Update emails from earlier in the school year.
1. Update on School Safety
2. Parent Coffee, Tuesday evening, January 15th
3. Interact Pond Party, Friday afternoon, January 18th
4. Save the Date for the Senior Auction and Talent Show
5. Poetry Out Loud Results
6. End of Semester, Friday, January 18th
7. CEP Update for Sophomore and Junior Parents
8. Junior Book Discussions--Volunteers Needed
1. Update on School Safety: Following the tragic school shooting in Connecticut, the work we already began to improve safety and security in the Yarmouth schools moved to "front and center." The three safety forums hosted by the superintendent provided parents, teachers, and others a chance for input. The district administrative team met on January 9 and agreed on these next steps:
2. Parent Coffee, Tuesday Evening, January 15th, 6:30-8:00 PM, YHS Library: Please join me and other parents for an informal opportunity to ask questions about any aspect of the school. I am going to begin this Parent Coffee with a discussion of school safety and then open up to any other questions from parents.
3. Interact Pond Party, Friday Afternoon, January 18th: Our YHS Interact Club, a club focused on both local and global community service is sponsoring its annual Pond Party. Here is the information from the club:
Where: At the pond behind KeyBank
When: Jan. 18th from 4-7pm
What: An afternoon of skating, music, a bonfire, and baked good sales put on by the Interact club from YHS.
Why: Proceeds go towards the Yarmouth Fuel Assistance Fund
We hope to see you there!
4. Save the Date for the Annual Senior Auction and Talent Show: Please save the date for the “Lucky 13” Senior Auction and Talent Show to be held on Friday, April 5, starting at 5:30 PM at YHS to Support YHS Project Graduation 2013. I have attached a flyer with more information.
5. Poetry Out Loud Results: On Thursday, January 10th, twelve YHS students (3 per grade) participated in the second annual Poetry Out Loud contest. Participants were 9th graders Henry Becker, Karl Munroe, and Amanda Dettmann; 10th graders Samantha Mangino, Meredith Coolidge, and Philip Chowdry; 11th graders Amelia French, Jordan Brown, and Emma Corbett; and 12th graders Max Murray, Harry Munroe, and Caelainn Costello. Second runner up was Henry Becker, first runner up was Max Murray, and the Poetry Out Loud winner was Amelia French. Congratulations to ALL of the students who recited a poem in their English class to begin this competition.
Henry, Amelia, and Max
6. End of the Semester, Friday, January 18th: This Friday marks the end of the semester and the halfway point in the school year. For students taking semester classes, they will begin new classes on Tuesday, January 22. Grades become official and final on Friday, January 25th.
7. CEP Update for Sophomore and Junior Parents: Last Monday, we had a kick-off assembly for this year's Career Exploration Project, a three-day job shadow program for sophomores and juniors that will take place in March. Students are working with their advisors and parents to find a placement for this experience. I encourage you to visit the CEP website to learn more information, including a tab with parent information.
8. Junior Book Discussions--Volunteers Needed: Every year the junior class hosts a literature discussion project. We choose a theme and then offer a variety of novels around that theme. This year our theme is international novels. Once students have chosen books, we invite members of the Yarmouth Community to read a book from the list and then come to school in late January to join a group of juniors in a book discussion. All discussions are student organized and facilitated.The discussions will take place during the school days January 24 & 25 between 9:30-10:40 in the morning.
We have a project website where you can find summaries of all the novels and the schedule. It will be updated frequently as students build their discussion agendas. For more information, please contact junior English teachers Anne Tommaso (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Mandy Lewis (email@example.com).
That was a long update! If you have any questions, comments, or suggestions, please be in touch.
Ted Hall, Principal
Principal's Office >