Dear YHS Parents,
Today is the middle of second quarter which means it is our official progress report date. It is at this time that all teachers put a comment about each student in PowerSchool for you and your child. Please take some time in the next couple of days to review both the grades and comments for each of your child's classes. You can login on PowerSchool at this link.
I have several other items for you as well.
1. Lost and Found--We have many items on our lost and found table outside of the main office. If your child has lost an item, please make sure that the table is checked. During the holiday break, we will donate any unclaimed items to charity.
2. Advisor Breakfast--Next Wednesday, we do NOT have a late start because each advisor group will be doing a special breakfast together that day. Your son or daughter's advisor will be in touch with you soon if you have not already heard about the plans.
3. Computers Collected Over Break--We collect all of the student computers over break, with the exception of allowing seniors to keep their computers for college applications. If, for some reason, your child is not in school on the last day before break, be sure to turn in the computer ahead of time.
4. Planned Family Absences--We hope that you do not plan any family vacations during school time, but schedule them during our breaks. If you do need to have your child out for a planned family absence of more than two days, please make sure the PFA form is completed well ahead of time. It is especially important to let us know in advance if your child is not attending school the day before a break.
5. Mr. YHS is Thursday, December 11--This is a very fun night that is also a fundraiser for the Senior Class. Come at 7:00 PM to the YPAC for some great laughs.
6. Junior Class is selling the Sunrise Guide--If you are interested in purchasing a Sunrise Guide, please stay tuned for more information from the junior class about how to order one. This year, you can buy the book, buy just the app, or both the book and the app together.
7. Student/Parent Information Night, Tuesday, January 6th, 7:30 PM in the Flex Room--I would like to invite you to a meeting on Tuesday evening, January 6th from 7:30-9:00 in the Flex Room at the high school. The purpose of this meeting is to review a proposal to modify the way we recognize students at graduation, to answer any questions you have about the proposal, and get your input.
In early September, after consulting with assistant principal Josh Ottow and guidance counselors Beth Doane and Brenda Michaelsen, I proposed to the faculty that we no longer recognize the valedictorian and salutatorian at graduation, but instead recognize the top achieving students (A+ average) as summa cum laude only. There are several reasons for making this proposal:
Before bringing this proposal to the faculty, I asked Beth Doane and Brenda Michaelsen for clarification about what is reported to colleges during the application process. Since we have never formally announced the academic honors until after the first semester grades are in, what is reported to colleges in the confidential guidance counselor recommendation is how the students stand in terms of GPA within their class, so that a student who has the highest GPA at the time when he/she applies to college has that noted.
The proposal was brought to the faculty one week and discussed in a faculty meeting the following week. The faculty voted overwhelmingly in favor of the proposal (one faculty member opposed). Then, the proposal was presented to the president, vice president and clerk of the Student Senate and they decided it would be good to present to the whole senate for deliberation and a vote. The Student Senate voted overwhelmingly in favor (two members opposed out of approximately 25 attending that day). This proposal was then shared with the superintendent and school committee for their input.
At this point, we would like to be able to clarify the proposal for parents and students, answer any questions about the proposal and get input. I hope that you can come to this information session on Tuesday evening, January 6th from 7:30-9:00 in the Flex Room.
Please be in touch if you have any questions.
Ted Hall, PrincipalYarmouth High School
286 West Elm Street
Yarmouth, ME 04096
Principal's Office >